A bit of history
The Georgian buildings in Coates Crescent, along with those in its twin Atholl Crescent, were part of the western development of Edinburgh’s New Town. The General Register of Sasines shows that the original title to No. 12 was in favour of the trustees of Thomas Murray Allan and is dated 12/13th October 1835.
In 1955 it was occupied by Robert Thomson Armor, a dentist, from whom the property was purchased by the trustees of the RSCDS for the sum of £4,010. The deposition lists the trustees as Jean C Milligan, Mrs. Florence D Lesslie, Miss Muriel F Hadden, and Miss Dorothea M Vaughan.
12 Coates Crescent has remained the central office of the RSCDS ever since, housing the staff team, the RSCDS Archive and various mementos from all over the world.
One of the most famous items on display is the 32 x 40 inch painting of Miss Jean Milligan, which hangs in the boardroom. The idea for this artwork came about at the 1960 AGM in Perth; this proposal was approved by the General Purposes Committee in March 1961 and Mr Henry Raeburn Dobson (1901-1985), an Edinburgh based Scottish portrait and landscape painter, was given the commission.
Did you know there are two dances devised for 12 Coates Crescent? The Strathspey 12 Coates Crescent and the Jig EH3 7AF, named after the building's post code in Edinburgh!